State Chapter Initiative
UNPA developed its state chapter initiative in 2012 as an “outside-in” approach to facilitate legislative activism in Washington, D.C., and as a means to protect and promote favorable industry legislation and regulation. The strategy involves the formation of chapters in key states with a strong natural products presence and a compelling economic-significance message targeted to federal and state legislators. The chapters also serve as state-based chambers of commerce to promote responsible industry growth.
UNPA’s state chapter initiative currently operates in Arizona, Colorado, Hawaii, New Hampshire / Vermont, North Carolina, Utah, Washington and Wisconsin.
The UNPA state chapter initiative involves the direct engagement from the organization’s national members in those states. Working with the UNPA staff, these members provide key leadership roles in organizing industry companies, the development of state economic impact reports as well as direct contact, as constituents, with their elected officials.
UNPA’s state chapter initiative covers a broad range of companies and products that we broadly define as the natural health products industry. Key initiatives include:
- Identification and tracking of industry businesses
- Development of ‘top companies’ lists
- State-based economic impact reports
- Engagement with and education of federal legislative delegations
- Promotion of in-state networking and business opportunities
- Expansion of the natural health products market in state chapter states
- Creation of business opportunities for members
For more information about UNPA’s state chapter initiative in the states where the organization is active, please contact the appropriate state chapter chair or Frank Lampe, UNPA VP of Communications and Industry Relations.